US Passport Information

To Apply for a New Passport  


You will need to apply in person with the following:

  1. A certified copy of your Birth Certificate (No photocopies or electronic birth certificates are accepted) It must contain the full names of the applicant's parent(s).
  2. A valid Driver License or State Identification
  3. Social Security number.
  4. One (1) official Passport Photo (Passport photos are available onsite for a fee of $12.00.)
  5. Marriage certificate (for women) to explain the name difference from their birth certificate
  6. Two (2) Checks or Money Orders (See fees below)

To Schedule an Appointment

Click Here to schedule a passport appointment.  
Appointments are in 15 minute blocks, Monday - Friday from 8:00am until 4:00pm. If you have multiple people needing passports, each person will need their own appointment. Please ensure you have all paperwork with you and already filled out. We cannot fill the paperwork out for you.

For questions regarding passport appointments, please call the County Clerk's office at 865-273-5800.

General Information About Passports

The application form for new passports will be provided in the office when you come in. Please visit the U.S. Department of State website for up-to-date information regarding U.S. Passport regulations and International travel.

Passport Books & Passport Cards

A passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book.

A passport book allows you to travel to many more locations via more modes of transportation than the passport card alone could. It is possible for you to apply for and have both the passport card and the passport book.

Special Requirements for Children Under Age 16

Minor children must apply in person. All children regardless of age (including newborns and infants) must have their own passport.

Submit proof of U.S. Citizenship

You must submit one of the following:

  1. Certified U.S. birth certificate; or
  2. Previous fully valid U.S. Passport; or
  3. Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240); or
  4. Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350); or
  5. Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization from USCIS.

Please note, a certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth.

Present Evidence of Child's Relationship to Parents / Guardians

Previous U.S. Passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s). You must submit one of the following:

  1. Adoption Decree (with adopting parent's names); or
  2. Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parent's names); or
  3. Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (with parent's names and translation, if necessary); or
  4. Certified U.S. birth certificate (with parent's names); or
  5. Court Order Establishing Custody; or
  6. Court Order Establishing Guardianship.
  7. Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parent's names); or

Please note, if the parent(s)'/guardian's name(s) is/are other than that on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.

Provide Parental Identification

Each parent or guardian must submit one of the following:

  1. Alien Resident Card from USCIS
  2. Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate From USCIS With Recognizable Photo
  3. Valid Driver's License
  4. Valid Official U.S. Military ID
  5. Valid U.S. Government ID
  6. Valid U.S. or Foreign Passport With Recognizable Photo

Social Security Card does not prove your identity.

Lack of Sources

If none of these are available, you will need some signature documents, not acceptable alone as ID, for example a combination of documents, such as your Social Security card, credit card, bank card, library card, etc.

Present Parental Application Permission Documentation

Both parents must appear together and sign or one parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16, or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper and a copy of the front and back side of driver's license from the non-appearing parent) or one parent appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (Such as one of the following):

  1. Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
  2. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
  3. Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or
  4. Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent); or
  5. Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child; or
  6. Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  7. Death certificate of non-applying parent

No Documentation

If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit a Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16.

A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody to the authorizing parent/guardian.

Passport Duration

A Passport is good for 10 years for an adult (over 16 years of age) and for 5 years for a minor (under 16 years of age).

Children under 18 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian with them when applying for a Passport.

All applicants must apply in person for a Passport.