What happens if my child is found guilty of a crime?
A child adjudicated delinquent or found guilty of committing an offense that if committed by an adult would be a crime has several options depending on the nature of the offense and his or her history with the Court. A child might be given an abeyance with special conditions, if the charge is less serious and it is a first time offense, or be placed on supervised probation and required to perform community service, pay a fine, write apology letters, and/or attend Juvenile Court approved program. Depending on the charge, a juvenile might be placed on supervised intensive probation. On more serious offenses, the juvenile could be committed to the Department of Children's Services where he or she might be housed in a secure facility. On the most serious charges, a juvenile can be transferred to the adult system where all further proceedings take place in the Criminal Court.

Show All Answers

1. What's the difference between other Judicial Courts and the Juvenile Court?
2. How is "juvenile" defined in Tennessee?
3. At what age can a minor be prosecuted as an adult for the commission of a crime?
4. Are juvenile cases and records confidential?
5. What are the legal rights of parents in juvenile cases?
6. What are restitution payments?
7. What can the Juvenile Justice system do to help kids before they have problems?
8. What happens if my child is found guilty of a crime?
9. Will the juvenile go to jail?
10. Can Juvenile cases and records be expunged?
11. How do I find out when my child is going to court?
12. How do I handle my child who is not obeying the rules of probation?
13. May I bring my child to Juvenile Court and drop them off?
14. How do I locate a mental health or substance abuse provider?
15. If I live in Blount County, where do I go to get assistance with my unruly child?